Announcement

Come back regularly for more information and resources on fathering.
Let's be learners together!
Fathers Club 2012 Brochure: Click here
Website Shortcut: http://tinyurl.com/fathersclub

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Fathers Club Testimony - Jeffery Choy

After attending the 1st Fathers Club book study session on the 2nd of August in DUMC, I realized that there are so many areas which I felt I need to improve in the way I father my children. During the session we studied on the 1st Secret of an effective father, which is “Commitment”.  Being a last minute decision, I had not really made the time to prepare and read the chapter before I went, which was suppose to be our homework. When we were deciding which group to join for our small group meeting (MAG – Mentoring and Accountability Group), I chose the Monday night group since my kids will be in tuition. This would be the most ideal time for me to commit to this alternate week group.

When I got back after the study session, I was sharing with my wife about how wonderful the Fathers Club book study has been and all the homework we had to do. I also told her about the survey that I need to do with her and my son (my daughter is too young, she’s only 6 years old). 
We had planned for a weekend at Cameron Highlands the following weekend, to relax and also to spend time with my family and close friends. The trip to Cameron Highland was wonderful. We stayed at the OMF Bungalow and we had much fun playing board games such as Monopoly, Scrabble and Taboo with the kids.

When we got back on Sunday 8th August, my wife and I were discussing with our son what he wanted to do on his birthday and where he wanted to go for his birthday dinner. We proposed a quiet dinner with just the 4 of us or he can invite some of his close friends home for dinner or have dinner with our close friends and their kids. My son was undecided but did comment that some of the proposals were not what he wanted. As we were discussing, it suddenly dawned on me that my son’s birthday dinner, which is on the 9th August, clashed with the Monday night Fathers Club MAG group meeting. I blurted out that I had Fathers Club MAG group meeting and my wife immediately reminded me that she’s sure the members would understand that I had to spend time with my son on his birthday. The Lord immediately reminded me of the lesson we had on the 2nd of August about “Commitment”.  It was really a reminder of how easily I could be distracted with other commitments and putting my commitment to my wife and kids in 2nd place. I decided to spend time with my son and family on his birthday as this is my commitment to him and my wife. We had a wonderful time and my son really enjoyed his birthday dinner and we also surprised him by inviting our close friends and their kids for the dinner (though he didn’t say it but insinuated his preference, when we made suggestions during the discussion)

I really thank God for sinking the lesson of commitment deeper into my heart and mind, and also the privilege of being able to practice it. I also thank God for my wife, who is there to remind and support me in my commitment to be an effective father. Praise the Lord!


No comments:

Post a Comment