Announcement

Come back regularly for more information and resources on fathering.
Let's be learners together!
Fathers Club 2012 Brochure: Click here
Website Shortcut: http://tinyurl.com/fathersclub

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Our First of a Series of 7 Studies

Men,
I am looking forward to our first study this coming Monday (2 Aug 2010).
Your homework:
1. Give your child a hug everyday!
2. Find a time slot in your weekly calendar to set aside for your child.
3. Buy the book "7 Secrets of Effective Fathers" from Burning Bush in Dream Centre.
4. Read Chapter 1 - 3 and note down pertinent points of subject matter.
5. Complete the 7 Secrets Profile in Appendix F.

See you in Room 102 (next to Children's Church Hall 1), go up via stairs next to church office.


1 comment:

  1. Recapturing the hugging culture

    When this assignment of hugging our child everyday comes on, I know that a big “F” awaits me. I am not much of a hugger, partly due to my upbringing and my personality. However I was determined to establish a daily hugging culture when we had our first son Joshua, who is 17 years old now. Initially I had some success i.e. daily hugs and kisses for the earlier years up to around 10 years when all these started dwindling. I remember the last I hugged him was after a good “rotanning” on his buttock. My son had his arms out yesterday. Oh.... because he wants money and not hugs.

    On the other hand, I scored A+, in both hugs and kisses with my eight year old girl, Naomi. I have no problem as she would insist on hugs and kisses every time before I leave the house and before she goes to sleep. She really is an angel in facilitating the hugging process for an unaffectionate father like me.

    Would it different, in the case of my son, if we had decided to continue and not pulled away? I am determined to restore the hugging culture in my family, be it with my wife and/or my children. Of course, a couple of adjustments and paradigms that I need to make – for my son, may be “no hugs no pocket money” would work??? The other day, I have great fun discussing the topic with my son. He suggested that I do a virtual him, then I would be able to hug him daily and any time I want. Seriously, starting with me, I need to make some radical changes. I might not achieve 100% but the least I want to do is to be able to show great affection in one way or another, starting with high fives, hand shakes, arms round the shoulders, mini-hugs and light hugs and whatever.

    ReplyDelete